Explore the motion of wheels, birds, lightning, planets, light and empty space itself! Be fascinated by molecular motors, black holes, the beauty of nature and the concepts of modern physics, from the principle of cosmic laziness – least action – to gauge symmetry, the symmetry of charges and quarks!
Find out what fireworks, mobile phones and butterflies have in common, how muscles work, how colours appear, how levitation is possible, why we can see the stars, and which problems in physics are still unsolved. If you are between the age of 16 and 106, you will enjoy it. These videos show why.
For a present to others or to yourself, get a paper edition at Amazon (in black & white or in colour), at Createspace (in black & white or in colour), or at Lulu (in black & white).
New in this edition: the direct detection of gravitational waves, the world distance record for throwing any object, new riddles, the pseudoscope, a film of a moving light pulse, an impressive optical illusion that makes colours disappear, and much more.
Download the files separately here (often slightly newer editions):
Motion Mountain is written for pupils, students, teachers and anybody curious about nature: the text is full of telling anecdotes, captivating riddles, unusual tables, astonishing photographs and beautiful films. It has been downloaded over 300 000 times.
Entertaining and surprising on every page, the first five pdf files tell about
- Sport, raindrops and animal life (mechanics, gravity and heat),
- Moving empty space and the sky at night (relativity and the structure of the universe),
- Lightning, lasers and nerves (electricity, optics, the brain, language and truth),
- Colours and the quantum of change (quantum physics and light quanta).
- Pleasure and the stars (biophysics, nuclear physics and radioactivity).
The sixth and last volume presents, in contrast to the previous ones, a research topic: it tells about the search for a final, unified theory of physics.
Prizes and rewards are offered for solving a number of challenges and for helping to improve the text. You will be mentioned in the index and in the acknowledgements.
If you like my book, please consider a donation. No profit is made: of the sum I spent so far - many tens of thousand Euros - less than a quarter has been covered by donations.
Free Physics Textbook for Download
Motion Mountain Physics Free PDF for Download
- French translations of the three volumes on mechanics & heat, on relativity and on electricity is available – as free pdf or as affordable paper edition – due to the fantastic effort of Benoît Clénet.
- A free German pdf edition of special relativity is available.
- Italian free translations of the three volumes on classical physics, on special and general relativity, and on quantum theory are available, due to the efforts of Salvatore Spampinato and Alessandro Gori.
- A Japanese free translation of the volume on relativity and cosmology is available, admirably translated by Hirooka Megumi.
- A free Russian html edition of the section on mechanics, translated by Vladimir Romanov, is available.
- A Spanish free pdf edition of special relativity is available, by José Manuel López López.
You are welcome to expand a translation or to add a new one.